I'm a huge fan of vegetables. They're rich in nutrients, come in a multitude of colors and flavors, and really round out a quality, balanced diet. But sometimes, I get stuck in a rut of preparing the same veggies in the same ways, over and over. While I never tire of eating veggies in general, I do find myself craving different textures and variety. A simple way to change up your veggie game is simply to prepare some of your old favorites in new ways. That's where this delicious creamy carrot mash comes in. It started with roasted carrots and bacon, but I was craving something a little different, so into the food processor it went with a few additional ingredients and voilà, a delicious new side dish was born!
This creamy, smoky carrot mash takes very little prep, just slice, dice, season up nice and toss in the oven to roast along with the bacon. Pairing these two together to bake not only saves time and dishes, but adds such great flavor to the end result. This recipe really takes the cake, or in this case, brings home the bacon? Either way, it's delicious. What are you waiting for? Grab the handful of ingredients needed and hop to it!
Creamy Carrot Mash with Crispy Bacon
Serves 4 (approx.)
- 10 medium or 8 large carrots (approx. 4 cups), diced
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 tsp dried garlic powder or 2 tsp fresh garlic
- 6-8 slices pastured, uncured bacon
- 1/4-1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 Tbs grass fed ghee (you can also use butter or coconut oil)
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: sprinkle on some ginger or garlic powder prior to baking for a little flavor variation
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Dice carrots and onion and toss on a foil or silpat-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Lay bacon strips over carrots. This will be your cooking fat as it bakes and drips down onto the carrots.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and roast for 20 min. Increase oven temp to 400 and roast for another 10-15 minutes or until bacon is crisp.
- Remove from oven and set bacon aside. Let carrots cool slightly, then toss into the bowl of a food processor or high-powered blender along with ghee. Blend well while drizzling in coconut milk. Start with 1/4 cup and check consistency. Add additional if needed.
- Taste and adjust if additional salt/pepper is needed. Top with chopped crispy bacon and devour!
Enjoy and be sure to let me know if you try out one of my recipes!
In loving health,