Necessity is indeed the mother of invention! That could not have been more true with the invention of this recipe. The other night I was in desperate need of a quick and easy protein option for dinner. As is usually the case in times like these, it was sardines to the rescue!
If you've hung around here at all or you follow me on social media, you know one of my goals is to get everyone on the sardine bandwagon. Not only are they such an amazing source of nutrients like Vitamin D, calcium, and omega 3s, but they're also such a great, simple source of easy protein. I have a medley of some other great sardine recipes which you can check out here. For this recipe, I was craving something a little heartier and different. Salmon cakes came to mind, and I thought "why not try it with sardines instead?" A star was born!
As with many things, I love to sneak in extra veggies wherever I can, and anything like this is a great opportunity for that. Throw in some simple seasoning and the added protein from the eggs and you've got a fantastic little nibble, perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snacks! In other words--they're up for anything! Pair it with one of my easy sauces* below and your taste buds will be in pure sardine heaven :)
Crispy Sardine Cakes with Creamy Dipping Sauce
Makes 6 patties
- 2 cans sardines (4 oz each) in water or oil, drained
- 1 Tbs dijon mustard
- 2 tsp coconut aminos (optional)
- 2 Tbs coconut flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot (could also sub shredded or riced broccoli or cauliflower)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbs ghee, grass fed butter, avocado oil, or coconut oil for cooking
- In a small bowl, add your sardines (mostly drained, it's ok if there's a little residual liquid), mustard, coconut aminos, coconut flour, and seasoning. Gently combine with a fork to break up the sardines and incorporate ingredients.
- In a separate small dish, whisk eggs together and add to sardine mixture. Stir to combine, then add carrots (or veggie of choice) and combine. Let sit for a couple of minutes to allow the coconut flour to absorb.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and add your cooking fat. Using your hands--this really is the easiest--scoop approx. 1/4 cup of mixture into a ball and form into a patty that's about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cook patties for approx. 3 minutes per side or until crispy and golden. Enjoy warm with dipping sauce, or these keep very well in the fridge for an easy grab and go option!
Creamy Dipping Sauce:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup yogurt (this is my favorite dairy-free version)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Blend all ingredients together in a food processor or blender until smooth and creamy. Enjoy with any and all things made for dipping!
*For another amazing dipping sauce option, check out my magic tangy sauce from my plantain chicken recipe here!
These crispy cakes are soooo tasty, you'd never even know there were sardines involved! If you've been wanting to give sardines a try but still a little unsure, this is a great way to get all the benefits with loads of flavor in the perfect bite-sized little nibble!
In loving health,
Note: This post contains affiliate links. While a little extra moolah is always nice and helps keep this blog up and running, the sole purpose of sharing these links is to help you find quality ingredients with ease and take out some of the guess work. It is my hope that your experiences in the kitchen are free of stress and frustration, and this is my way of helping you get there. I also never advocate for anything that I don't 100% believe to be a quality item. All recipes are solely mine. Sharing is caring, and I kindly ask that you give credit appropriately.