Pretty much everything I do in the kitchen revolves around quality ingredients and simplicity in throwing them all together. That's precisely what this recipe encompasses. Simple, straightforward ingredients make up this lovely, lightly lavender-esque little treat. This nutrient-dense beauty is perfect for any time of day. The delicately sweet nature of the carob marries beautifully with the light, floral taste and aroma of the lavender. If you're not a fan of lavender (although I do encourage you to at least try it!), there is also a peppermint variation included below that is equally delicious. You can easily double the recipe and split it in half to try both flavors. Or leave out any additional flavors and you've still got a winner! This recipe is perfectly customizable for your flavor preferences.
Coconut oil is a powerhouse ingredient, boasting such nutritional strengths as easy-to-digest medium chain fatty acids, which are the body’s preferred source of fuel from fats, as well as naturally anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties. Coconut oil is also an amazing anti-inflammatory fat, with benefits from use both internally and externally. The best type to look for is unrefined, or extra virgin, meaning it hasn’t been bleached or heat treated, and therefore all those beneficial components are left intact. Lavender is widely beneficial and can be used in so many amazing ways, from a delicate sleep aid to skin nourishment and stress relief. As with coconut oil, the key is to use a quality essential oil from a pure, therapeutic-grade source, one that has been steam distilled and cold pressed so as to leave the nourishing benefits intact.
Give these luxuriously-scented, nutrient-rich coconutty beauts a try, and let me know what you think!
Coconut Carob Bars with Lavender
Paleo; AIP-friendly; Gluten free; Refined sugar free
Makes 1 medium-sized bar; feeds as many as you're willing to share with
- 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- 4 Tbs toasted carob powder
- 3 Tbs raw honey (local is the best!)
- 4 drops lavender essential oil (therapeutic grade)*
- Pinch of sea salt
*peppermint variation: use 3 drops peppermint essential oil instead of the lavender
1. In a food processor**, add the shredded coconut, coconut oil, carob powder, honey, and pinch of sea salt. Blend until completely incorporated and forms a crumbly paste.
**You can try this in a high-powered blender if you don’t have a food processor, but it may not incorporate quite the same. The width of a food processor bowl allows for more even incorporation, as it blends out vs. up like a blender. I will say that my food processor is my all time favorite piece of kitchen equipment (besides a great chef's knife).
2. Add the essential oil and pulse briefly to incorporate.
3. Pour mixture onto a piece of parchment paper, waxed paper, or aluminum foil (I find this works best with aluminum foil), and shape into desired thickness. I usually make it into a square/rectangle about ½ an inch thick. The mixture will be crumbly and oily, but should come together easily.
4. Wrap parchment/waxed paper/aluminum foil tightly around mixture to hold the shape, and refrigerate until hardened, about 10 minutes.
5. Remove, slice into squares, and enjoy! Keeps best in the refrigerator. They will soften considerably at room temperature.
In loving health,
Note: This post does contain affiliate links. While a little extra moolah is always nice, the sole purpose is to help you find quality ingredients easily and take out some of the guess work. It is my hope that your experiences in the kitchen are free of stress and frustration, and this is my way of helping you get there. I also never advocate for anything that I don't 100% believe to be a quality item.