Growing up, when McDonald's would bring back their magical shamrock shake, it was an exciting day indeed! My mom would often treat us to one after school during the St. Patty's Day season and it was so special. While I would no longer go for the corn-syrup and artificial green coloring-laden version, I am a firm believer that even within a healthier way of eating, you can have your cake (shake) and eat it, too! It's only a matter of finding a way to incorporate healthier ingredients that won't have a negative impact on your overall health. And that's just what this healthier "shamrock shake" encompasses!
While smoothies can so easily become a fruit-heavy sugar bomb, there are ways to incorporate more healthy fats and lower sugar ingredients to make them a truly nourishing drink. Smoothies are the perfect place to hide some extra veggies and nourishing ingredients. This healthier sweet mint version incorporates nothing but pure, simple ingredients, is full of healthy, nourishing fats, and is completely free of any artificial colors or dyes! That lovely green hue is perfectly provided by nature.
Snag the ingredients and whip up a healthy, nourishing shamrock smoothie this St. Patty's Day (or any other day)!!
Healthy Sweet Mint Shamrock Smoothie
(GF, DF, AIP friendly, Paleo, Vegan Option)
- 1 cup coconut or almond milk (may need more, depending on thickness and blender power)
- 1/2 cup frozen coconut chunks OR shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup frozen zucchini or frozen, uncooked cauliflower (don't worry, you don't taste it!)
- 1 small banana, diced and frozen
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked* (omit for AIP)
- 1/2 avocado
- 10-12 fresh mint leaves OR 2 drops pure, therapeutic grade peppermint essential oil
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- 2 Tbs collagen peptides (omit for vegan option)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs raw honey, optional
- 1 cup ice, optional (this makes it more icy like a shake)
*To soak cashews: simply place in a bowl and cover with boiling filtered water. Let sit for 15 minutes then strain and rinse. This makes them soft and extra smooth when blending.
- Toss all frozen ingredients into the blender first (banana, zucchini or cauliflower, ice if using, coconut chunks). This helps with smoother blending!
- Add all other ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth and well-incorporated. This will vary based on blender types. A high-powered blender is best, but work with what you've got and add more liquid if necessary.
- Taste and adjust for additional sweetness or minty-ness
- Pour, sip, and savor!
It's pretty easy bein' green when you've got a tasty, healthy smoothie like this! You don't even need luck when you've got these power greens on your side ;)
In loving health,
Note: This post contains affiliate links. While a little extra moolah is always nice and helps keep this blog up and running, the sole purpose of sharing these links is to help you find quality ingredients with ease and take out some of the guess work. It is my hope that your experiences in the kitchen are free of stress and frustration, and this is my way of helping you get there. I also never advocate for anything that I don't 100% believe to be a quality item. All recipes are solely mine. Sharing is caring, and I kindly ask that you give credit appropriately.