This recipe has been a tried and true favorite in my kitchen for some time now. I often make this when we have company over for dinner. It's super simple to pull together, super flavorful, and always a crowd-pleaser. I recently had the opportunity to make this for a massive crowd on family vacation, and not only was it easy to make in bulk, but it was also a huge hit! This pairs wonderfully with some quality tortillas, tortilla chips, buttery cilantro lime rice (recipe below), guacamole (find my super flavorful recipe here), and other fresh fixings like greens, tomatoes, green onions, etc. to build the perfect build-your-own taco bowl of goodies. Amp up your Taco Tuesday (or any day, really) with this delicious skillet!
Hop to it and add this sizzling skillet meal to your dinner rotation! Your taste buds will be so glad you did ;)
- 2 lbs ground bison, grass fed beef, or other ground meat (works well with all!)
- 4-6 slices pastured bacon
- 1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes, shredded (approx. 2-3 cups shredded, more or less depending on preference)
- 1 small onion, red or yellow, diced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1-2 Tbs cooking fat (ghee, grass fed butter, coconut oil, avocado oil)
- 3 Tbs coconut aminos (this is the secret flavor weapon ingredient!)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Smoked sea salt, approx. 1/2 tsp or to taste
- cracked black pepper, 1/4 tsp
- 1 tsp. turmeric (optional; great anti-inflammatory for added nutrient density)
- Juice of ½ lime
- Chopped fresh cilantro, approx. 1/4-1/2 cup
- In a medium-sized skillet, cook bacon until crisp and remove. Sauté onions in bacon fat or other cooking fat on medium heat. Once translucent, add fresh garlic and cook until fragrant. Add smoked salt, oregano, and turmeric, if using.
- Add ground meat, breaking up. Cook until browned.
- Toss in shredded sweet potato and stir to combine.
- Add coconut aminos. The liquid will help steam the sweet potato.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Check the sweet potatoes after 3-4 minutes, continuing to cook until desired texture.
- Remove from heat and finish with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro. Top with chopped cooked bacon and serve with cilantro lime rice and additional burrito bowl fixings!
Cilantro Lime Rice:
- 1 cup dry organic white rice (2 cups cooked, can also sub cauliflower rice)
- bone broth (can use just water, but the broth adds additional flavor!)
- 1/4 cup ghee or grass fed butter
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- juice of 1/2 lime
- dash coconut aminos
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare rice according to instructions.
- Once cooked to desired texture, remove from heat and add ghee or butter, cilantro, salt and pepper, coconut aminos, and lime juice.
- Mix well to combine and serve!
I hope you love this tasty dish as much as I do! Share your success with it in the comments below!
In loving health,
Note: This post does contain affiliate links. While a little extra moolah is always nice and helps keep this blog up and running, the sole purpose of sharing these links is to help you find quality ingredients with ease and take out some of the guess work. It is my hope that your experiences in the kitchen are free of stress and frustration, and this is my way of helping you get there. I also never advocate for anything that I don't 100% believe to be a quality item. All recipes are solely mine. Sharing is caring, and I kindly ask that you give credit appropriately.