Slaw is one of those things that seems to be a little polarizing: you either like it or you don't. And no two slaws are created equal, either, which is why I think it's always worth it to at least give it a try! My husband isn't a slaw fan, and he even said he really liked this one, so I'd count that as a win!
The other great thing about slaw is that it's so versatile. While this mashup of ingredients is incredibly tasty as is, you can easily customize for whatever produce you've got on hand. This version was born out of the plunder from my local farm CSA box, truly encompassing the freshest fruits (veggies) of the season. It's really the sauce that solidifies the flavor, so get creative and make it your own!
Fresh Summer Slaw
(Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Paleo)
Makes approx. 4 hefty servings
- 2 heaping cups cabbage, thinly sliced (red or green works well here)
- 1 cup radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 tart green apple, diced
- 3 Tbs thinly sliced fennel (add some of the fronds, too!)
- 2 Tbs scallions or green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- juice of half a lime
- 1/4 cup avocado mayo (or homemade mayo)
- 1 Tbs coconut aminos
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, add mayo, lime juice, coconut aminos, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Toss in all veggies, scallions, and cilantro and toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Slaw is good to go immediately, but the flavors continue to build the longer it sits, so making ahead is a great idea!
Add this slaw to my loaded summer burger for a total flavor explosion, or give your tacos that added freshness and crunch! Basically, the topping possibilities are endless, or it's truly great on its own.